Associate Dean for College of Engineering
The Gulf University for Science and Technology in Kuwait seeks highly qualified candidates for the position of Associate Dean in the College of Engineering. The Associate Dean will report to the Interim Dean of the College and will be a key member of the College?s Leadership Team.
Established in 2002, the Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) is the first private university in the State of Kuwait. GUST is preparing generations of young leaders and professionals for the demands of a new global technological era. The pedagogical theory and practice of GUST is based on the American model of higher learning, and the language of instruction is English.
GUST is partnered with the Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) to establish the structure and curriculum for its new engineering programs, recruit and hire faculty, monitor the engineering programs? quality, and prepare for ABET accreditation. The GUST College of Engineering will include undergraduate programs in engineering management, electrical and computer engineering as inaugural majors, followed by other engineering degrees at a later stage.
The Associate Dean will be responsible for assisting the Dean of Engineering with the development and implementation of the engineering programs, promoting excellence in teaching and research, and working collaboratively with other GUST academic and administrative units. Some of the major duties of the Associate Dean will be to:
- Support the Dean of Engineering with matters relating to curriculum and instruction in the College;
- Oversee development and implementation of strategic planning as it relates to academic programs;
- Establish plans for program development, faculty recruitment and development; and
- Coordinate periodic academic program reviews and work with College Chairs to review, study, and develop curriculum and improve instruction.
GUST seeks an Associate Dean possessing the highest ethical and professional standards, exceptional academic credentials, a proven teaching and research funding record, and commitment to transparent leadership and collegial faculty relations.
The successful candidate should have a doctorate degree in engineering from an accredited institution, evidence of continual advancement through the academic ranks consistent with the appointment as an associate or full professor (preferred), and five years of service in a related academic department.
Other desirable attributes include:
- An understanding of and passion for GUST?s mission.
- Administrative experience with academic departments, centers, and program leadership.
- Excellent organizational, communication, collaborative and leadership skills, and demonstration of an understanding and commitment to equal opportunity employment and diversity.
- A track record showing a high degree of personal and professional integrity, ethics, and honesty; and the intellectual, analytical, and interpersonal qualities that will foster respect among the university?s constituencies.
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting a culture of excellence, recruiting and retaining top faculty.
- A demonstrated commitment to the education and well-being of students in and out of the classroom and a passion for developing lifelong learners.
GUST offers generous salaries and an excellent benefits package including housing and transportation allowances, educational allowances for dependents, private medical and dental plans, as well as annual airfare return tickets home. Kuwait is an income-tax-free country.
Interested applicants should electronically submit: 1) a detailed cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) a perspective on their views regarding current and emerging challenges facing engineering education and research, 4) a diversity statement, and 5) current contact information for at least four professional references to www.gust.edu.kw/vacancies.
Acceptable electronic formats are PDF and MS Word. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the review of applications will continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, applicants must apply by February 1, 2020.
Qualified candidates will be internationally recognized scholars with a doctorate degree in engineering from an accredited institution, evidence of continual advancement through the academic ranks consistent with the appointment as associate professor, or full professor, and five years of service in a related academic department.