The Writing Lab
As part of GUST’s commitment to a holistic learning environment, the English Writing Lab is a dedicated department established and geared towards developing academic capabilities and enhancing writing skills. The English Writing Lab adopts a “We Care” approach to each individual student’s needs. The Writing Lab creates an environment of collaborative inquiry. Students can seek help on a variety of writing and reading needs, concerns, and goals. It aims to help students with any problems they face from grammatical issues up to idea flow and understanding course material; its mission is to help students address, recognize and fix any of their writing concerns depending on each student’s capabilities.
Who are we?
The Writing Lab helps GUST students improve their writing and general language skills with the help of the English department’s teaching assistants, Ms. Rawan and Ms. Reem. Peer tutors are also available to work with students one-on-one to improve their papers, assignments, reports, and projects. Teaching assistants engage the students in discussions about their work in order help them improve their writing techniques and provide them with academic support.
The Writing Lab services:
· Empowering writers to improve their individual writing projects.
· Providing information and resources about specific writing concerns.
· Providing pedagogical support for faculty who use writing in their classrooms.
· Proof- reading and editing which involves: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
· One on one / group tutoring sessions are offered for English courses.
· Documentation and citation assistance (MLA, APA, etc.).
· Developing students’ understanding of writing purposes, audiences, genres, and styles.
· Upon request, we hold special workshops for students and instructors on essay writing, research papers, business writing, and grammar editorials.
How to book an appointment:
The Writing Lab is based on an appointment system. Please book your session with one of our TAs or peer tutors through sending an email or pass by the Writing Lab to choose a suitable time slot.
*Note that walk-ins may be admitted; however, priority goes to those with appointments.
The Writing Lab is located on the first floor of the library (N2-103)
Ms. Reem AlNesef Ms. Rawan AlKandari
Tel: (+965) 25307148 Tel: (+965) 25307380
Ms. Reem 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Ms. Rawan 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.