Accounting and Management Information Systems (MIS)
Dr. Naser Abu Ghazalah
Mission Statement (Accounting)
The mission of the Department of Accounting is to offer high-quality accounting programs that meet the requirements of the accounting profession and are relevant to a diverse group of undergraduate students to advance accounting education and knowledge through basic, applied and pedagogical research and to promote valuable associations with the business community.
- Consistent with the Accounting Department’s mission, the objectives of our department are to:
- Guarantee the highest priority of excellence in teaching and learning;
- Understand and recognize our responsibilities toward the academic and business communities;
- Support students to analyze and solve problems, communicate articulately, use technology effectively, work as part of a team, and contribute to society;
- Enhance and broaden faculty members’ skills through academic and professional research
Accounting is the process of developing and communicating financial information about business and not-for-profit organizations to managers, investors, creditors, and other users of financial statements, to assist with economic decision-making. The accounting program provides students with the basic educational background necessary for professional certification. These include, for example, the Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), and Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) examinations.
The Accounting program focuses on the compilation, presentation, and use of financial information by groups such as management, owners, investors, employers, government and other public bodies. Students’ analytical skills are developed using financial statements and other accounting models. To achieve this, courses in the basic areas of financial reporting and managerial accounting are offered, together with a variety of specialized courses in auditing cost accounting, accounting information systems and analysis of financial statements. These courses prepare students wishing to become professional accountants.
Mission Statement (MIS)
MIS offers a four-year degree program leading to a Bachelor’s degree in Management of Information Systems. The Department of MIS is committed to preparing students to become pioneers and leaders in the area of business in general and information systems in specific.
The mission of the MIS undergraduate program at GUST is to prepare professionals who can make the most effective use of Information Technology in the solution of business problems. The learning process in MIS is driven by high-quality of active learning, where students get foundation business knowledge, learn Information Systems essentials, experience the latest IT innovations, and learn problem solving methodologies which enables them to find effective solutions for business problems.
The MIS Degree’s primary objectives are to produce students that are capable of:
- Utilizing necessary skills to successfully manage systems development projects.
- Effectively using and administrating Information Systems in different business settings.
- Acquiring and applying analytical skills which will enable them to visualize a complex business problem and make informed decisions based on available information and technology resources.
- Applying problem solving skills which will allow them to model information systems solutions for business problems.
- Having a deep understanding of the business and professional responsibilities related to the use of information systems in organizations.
MIS combines and melts theories and practice from business administration, technology and social science. The MIS field is very interdisciplinary in nature and it crosses traditional boundaries between many academic disciplines and schools of thought. The MIS curriculum at the GUST’s College of Business Administration includes a variety of courses including systems analysis and design, object-oriented programming, database design and administration, computer and information systems, management of telecommunications and networks, e-commerce and web design.