Native English Teacher (Project Basis)
Scope and Purposes:
Under the direction of the Team Leader, this position is responsible for planning, teaching and evaluating assigned day and evening instruction to students enrolled in English courses in accordance with the assigned and approved curriculum, with assistance from the Team Leader; for maintaining student class records: for fulfilling administrative duties such as with orientation, assessment and registration as required and/or requested by the Team Leader; and for participating in professional development activities such as workshops and meetings.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach English language to different categories and levels of students.
- Write student reports and evaluate student progress.
- Grade student assessments based on marking criteria.
- Prepare daily lesson plans.
- Teach the main approved English Language course, but may also teach other language courses including IELTS, General English, and/or other English language courses that may be developed or introduced if required.
- Complete tasks assigned by the Team Leader and Academic Supervisors which may include attending or delivering workshops, reviewing courses, developing teaching materials and/ or any other projects related to teaching.
- Report any issues of concern to Academic supervisor, who will report the case to the Team leader if needed or unresolved.
- In instances of student misbehavior, teacher would be required to fill in an incident report and hand it in to Academic Supervisor.
- Teach up to 15 hours per week, Sunday through Thursday, in the approved courses may include various levels of grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking and/or oral skills to improve language fluency.
- Responsible for lesson preparation, curriculum and materials development associated with the overall program and course(s) taught.
- Distribute and thoroughly discuss the class syllabus for each course taught and evaluate course textbook(s).
- Monitor and report student progress including, but not limited to accurate and timely grading and attendance record keeping.
- Attend staff meetings, placement testing, student orientation, staff development and in-service training and other activities as assigned.
- Adhere to instructor scheduled office hours and be flexible to schedule by appointment as necessary.
- Adhere to and support the goals and mission of the program and be highly motivated and enthusiastic to teach non-native English language learners.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of curriculum and policies of the assigned courses.
- Display a professional and collegial attitude.
- Bachelor degree in English or related discipline.
- Professional certification in teaching English Language (i.e. CELTA/ TESOL/ ESL/ DELTA).
- Native English Speaker.
- Minimum 3 years of full-time English teaching experience in a college or university-level or intensive ESL for academic purposes program
- Strong, comprehensive knowledge of grammar, writing, reading, listening, speaking, pronunciation and conversation skills, strategies and methods including demonstrated excellence in teaching and ability to apply the use of instructional technology in the classroom required
- Good organizer, positive team member, and an ability to interact in cross-cultural relationships
- Computer competence including Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and understanding of curriculum development and assessment
- Leadership skills including interpersonal communication and team building