Administrative Assistant - Mathematics & Natural Science
Under the supervision of the Department Head, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing clerical/secretarial duties including tasks such as organizing, coordinating, and reporting activities as they relate to the day-to-day functions of the department’s/division’s office. The position is responsible for providing quality customer service to faculty and students.
- Assist the Department Head with the coordination, operation, and management of all departmental services
- Assist in preparing class schedules, budget preparation, record control, and special management services.
- Set appointments, coordinate meetings, and arrange travel and lodging for faculty. Take and type minutes for departmental and committee meetings. Follow-up with meeting action items that may be assigned to you by the department.
- Correspond with faculty, staff, and students by email or through official memos. Compose letters, draft forms, compile factual reports, and photocopy documents on behalf of the Head and faculty, and assure the confidentiality of all information regarding these documents.
- Responsible for the HOD calendar, and on-campus functions and events hosted by the HOD on behalf of the University.
- Supervise student employees assigned to the department/division, if any.
- Operate standard office machines, including personal computers. Organize and maintain general office files and all filing relative to the operation of the department/division. Maintain an up-to-date departmental record on one drive.
- Liaise with GUST units such as Facilities, OSL, and OSC departments to provide needed support to faculty members. Corresponds with the Library Department for the acquisition of textbooks, Finance and stores for supplies and any departmental financial procedures, and IT for computer-related equipment for Head and faculty members.
- Keep track of faculty course schedules /timetables in order to achieve maximum utilization of time in making appointments and enable faculty to remain undisturbed when circumstances require.
- Keep inventory of stationery office supplies, etc., and provide supplies to faculty upon request.
- Assist new faculty hires by helping them meet other faculty and staff; find their way around campus, and necessary supplies and equipment.
- Announce class absences when asked to do so by faculty. Convey messages to faculty member’s students as directed.
- Assist the HOD with recruitment procedures, scheduling online interviews for candidates, and preparing a complete portfolio of shortlisted candidates.
- Create and keep a current roster of the department’s/division’s faculty members, TA, and administrative assistants. The roster is to include name, title, office number, office phone number, email address, and personal (mobile) phone number. Share the roster with faculty at the beginning of the academic year and as changes occur.
- Other general duties as requested by the Department Head.
A bachelor’s degree is required preferably in Math or CS-related fields.
Experience in administrative support is preferable.
Must be proficient in Computer Skills including Microsoft Office, Data Analysis, and Design Skills using Professional Tools.
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills in both Arabic and English
- Ability to handle multiple details and organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to create strong relations with multiple stakeholders inside the organization.