About the Course
This program delivers applied training in the concepts and skills of managing performance. Explore techniques for planning, coaching and reviewing performance on an ongoing basis. Diagnose performance opportunities and problems, reinforce exemplary behaviour and motivate people to give their best. Create a work environment where people can grow and succeed, while achieving mission-critical results.
Who Should Attend
- Department managers, line supervisors, team leaders or others in positions that require them to manage and document employee performance
- HR professionals who want an overview of the implementation end of performance management will also benefit from attending
- Set objectives to achieve both role-specific and professional development results
- Find an effective middle ground between micro-managing and being laissez-faire
- Support a perception of fairness and consistency
- Manage the performance of high, solid and marginal employees
- Feel confident managing individuals and teams, in person and remotely
- Motivate people to go the extra mile for the team and organization
Applying the Big Five Motivators
- Responsibility, learning and growth, career development, personal achievement, meaning and purpose.
- The roles of a manager: what people want, need and expect from managers.
Managing Performance Phase One: Performance Planning
- Goal setting, building accountability and measuring performance.
- Biases, errors and assumptions.
- Rewards and their impact on motivation.
- How the current climate affects metrics and development plans.
- Overcoming challenges of managing remotely.
Managing Performance Phase Two: Ongoing Coaching
- Active listening.
- Golden rules for delivering feedback.
- The GROW model of coaching.
- Applied practice in listening, questioning and coaching.
Managing Performance Phase Three: Reviewing Performance
- Recording and documenting.
- Using multiple sources of performance data for a fairer review.
- Structuring a performance review discussion.
Dealing with Challenging Performance
- Navigating the escalation process, preparing to conduct a termination meeting.
- Managing fall-out and team communication.
Managing a Performance Feedback Conversation
- Applied practice: manager/employee role-play
This hands-on program includes group discussions, case studies, individual activity-based development and small group exercises to deepen your insights and sharpen your performance management skills.