Dr. Cathy Daniel
Head of Department
Photo by Julia Kalinina
The Department of English offers a four-year degree program leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree in English, with certificated concentrations in Language & Translation, Literature, and English Secondary Education.
The Department's primary objectives are to provide:
- • instruction in the English language that enables all GUST students to communicate efficiently and effectively in their University courses.
- • degree programs in Linguistics / Translation, Literature in English and English Secondary Education for students seeking personal and professional goals in those fields.
- • English minors for other academic majors within the University.
- • an academic environment that fosters creativity, critical thinking, and research skills.
- • adequate preparation for the challenges of the work and social environments ahead.
The Department of English offers the following programs:
- • Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
- • Bachelor of Arts in English, Linguistics-Translation
- • Bachelor of Arts in English Secondary Education
The study of English Language, Literature and Education provides direct access to the cultural capital of billions. In immediate and practical terms, Major students become equipped for an enormous range of careers and postgraduate opportunities. They can go on to work and study in translation, teaching and academics, arts and media, journalism, law, welfare, IT, administration, public relations, international relations, business and marketing. Skills acquired during the course of the degree (such as critical thinking, clarity of expression in written and oral forms, self-management and planning, independent research, organization of time, cooperation with others, attention to detail and ability to grasp the larger picture) will be invaluable regardless of one’s chosen career path.