The Department of Mass Communication and Media (MCM) offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mass Communication, with an emphasis on one of the following areas of study:
- Digital Media Production with an emphasis on multimedia creation using video, audio, imaging, graphics, and animation tools.
- Public Relations and Advertising with an emphasis on copywriting for advertising and public relations, strategic campaign planning and execution, and Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC).
- Visual communication with an emphasis on graphic message design, visual culture, semiotics, and web design.
The department provides students with the theoretical and practical foundations needed to competently work in, and meet the challenges of, these different media-related professions. It is committed to the highest academic standards based on our cooperation agreement with the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL), national & international accreditation guidelines, and GUST’s academic mission.
The Department’s objectives are to:
- Educate students about the importance and influence of mass communication and new media technologies on the politics, economics, and cultures of modern societies
- Provide students with an understanding of recent theories and methods guiding mass communication as a scientific discipline
- Help students recognize the importance of free speech and media literacy in modern societies through the application of innovative learning techniques and experiences both inside and outside of the classroom
- Empower students with the ethical standards, professionalism and practical skills necessary to create effective media products and messages that utilize leading scientific techniques and provide students with competitive advantages in tomorrow's job market
- Foster faculty development and research excellence to ensure high academic standards and a robust intellectual environment
- Strive for institutional effectiveness and continuous improvement through the application of quality control standards, innovative leadership, and accreditation guidelines
- Put faculty expertise to the service of institutions, industries, and the general community, both locally and internationally
In recent years, there has been an explosion in new forms of mass communication in Kuwait and the region. Local organizations are also increasingly applying public relations tactics to build their brand reputations and influence public opinion and behavior. These changes underscore the need to develop the field of mass communication as a flourishing discipline that provides valuable work opportunities in areas such as:
- Multimedia content creation, for advertising, public relations, government or non-profit organizations
- Public relations and advertising professionals
- Graphic designers, animation, multimedia, and web design specialists
To do well in the MCM Department, regardless of your emphasis, try following these general guidelines:
- Start with your General Education classes first, then add 100-, 200-, 300-, and 400-level classes in that order (see sample courses planner)
- Always use early registration
- Meet with your advisor at the beginning of each academic year and plan two semesters in advance
- Spread classes you find difficult across multiple semesters, don’t postpone them to the end
- Don’t count on the summer to graduate, as the classes you need may not be available
- Take your Internship, Integrated Marketing, and Senior Project during your last year
- Complete MATH 122: Statistics and MCM 412: Theory, before taking MCM 413: Methods
- Take pre-requisites for other emphases early to have flexibility in your major electives
- Utilize the abundant resources: TAs, tutors, office hours, loanable equipment, lab hours, advisors, etc.
- Join student clubs to gain practical experience, build social network, and develop skills
MCM Recommended Clubs
Goal: Achieve media awareness by combining education and entertainment with series of lectures, open discussions, outdoor activities, workshops, and trips to enhance students’ understandings of media.
Goal: Introduce more art related events on campus, and support the artistic and creative talents of GUST students through workshops, seminars, and events related to art.
Goal: Raise the profile and understanding of PR at GUST and Kuwait by highlighting the important role it plays in society. The club also aids students in becoming community and industry leaders through the management of PR campaigns and events.